Steam Whistle Brewery is a popular destination for beer enthusiasts and tourists alike, located in the heart of downtown Toronto, Ontario. Known for its signature Pilsner, Steam Whistle has become a staple in the city’s thriving craft beer scene. In this article, we’ll give you all the information you need to plan a visit to this iconic brewery.
History and Location
Founded in 2000 by three friends with a passion for beer, Steam Whistle Brewery is housed in the historic John Street Roundhouse, a former Canadian Pacific Rail steam locomotive repair facility. This unique and heritage-rich location, just steps away from the CN Tower and Ripley’s Aquarium, adds to the brewery’s distinctive character.
The Steam Whistle Experience
Visiting Steam Whistle Brewery provides guests with a fun and educational experience, offering insights into the brewing process, the company’s history, and the craft beer culture in Toronto.
- Brewery Tours: Steam Whistle offers guided brewery tours, which take visitors through the brewing process, from the selection of ingredients to the final bottling. Tours last approximately 30 minutes and include a complimentary sample of their refreshing Pilsner. Advanced booking is recommended, as tours fill up quickly.
- The Hall: After your tour, make your way to The Hall, a lively event space within the brewery, where you can enjoy a cold pint, a bite to eat, and stunning views of the Toronto skyline. The Hall also hosts various events throughout the year, including live music, art shows, and beer festivals.
- Retail Store: Before you leave, stop by the retail store to pick up some Steam Whistle merchandise, like t-shirts, glassware, and, of course, beer to take home.
- Special Events: Steam Whistle Brewery is known for hosting a variety of events throughout the year, such as Oktoberfest, St. Patrick’s Day celebrations, and art exhibits. Be sure to check their website for upcoming events during your visit.
Steam Whistle Brewery is located at 255 Bremner Blvd, Toronto, Ontario, within walking distance of Union Station and major downtown attractions. The brewery is open seven days a week, with tour hours varying depending on the day. Tours can be booked online, and prices may vary depending on the package you choose.
Tips for Visiting
- Wear comfortable shoes, as the brewery tour involves walking and standing for an extended period.
- Plan your visit during off-peak hours (weekday afternoons) to avoid large crowds and have a more relaxed experience.
- If you’re visiting with a group, consider booking a private tour for a more personalized experience.
- Make a day of it by exploring the nearby attractions, such as the CN Tower, Ripley’s Aquarium, and the Rogers Centre.